'The Cold Dish' Craig Johnson

The Cold Dish  - Craig Johnson

"(...) The feather they found on scene with Cody Pritchard.”
“So, they’re saying that it wasn’t an eagle feather, that it was a wild turkey?” I let that sit awhile. “I wasn’t aware that eagles or turkeys were suspect; I thought we had all agreed that the gunshot wound might have had something to do with the cause of death.”

“That’s wonderful. People will sleep better knowing the scope of response to this incident.”
I looked at him, just to make sure facetious sarcasm hadn’t entered the office when I wasn’t looking. “We’ve put a substantial amount of our force on this case and are making every attempt to bring this particular incident to a quick conclusion.” What else was I going to say? That there were only three and a half of us and that we were going to drag the case out as long as we could, just so we could have something to do?

“My uncle’s horses, yes.” Henry never claimed the horses, even though they had been his for more than ten years. It was because they were Appaloosas. He felt about Appaloosas the way I felt about his truck; they were here just to piss him off. Henry figured that the reason the Cheyenne had always ridden Appaloosas into battle was because by the time the men got there, they were so angry with the horses they were ready to kill everything.

He grimaced and shifted his weight.
“Pain?”
“No, I have plenty, thank you.”

“Hey, I thought you guys always thought it was a good day to die.”
“Attributed to Crazy Horse who was often misquoted.”

“It’s department policy to only shoot people once a day; it’s a budgetary thing.”

Data pierwszego wydania: 2004